Reply To: Chaos at T5…now

Back to Forum

seanyjmuclhr
Participant

Was due to fly to Frankfurt yesterday with DLH and while BA was in meltdown, DLH still had us checked in and boarded ready for departure…. just when the snow descended from the heavens….

We were on LH903, at gate 5 of T1 from 10am right through to 7pm. Every hour, on the hour, the captain gave us full updates, and while it was severly annoying to de-plane after 9 hours sitting on board, the LH crew was nothing if not stellar. They did multiple drinks services, got all the food out, even managed to get Prêt à Manger to come down and give everyone more sandwiches.

While I need to get away, I am thankful that we were kept warm, safe and fed, and although I had to come back home last night, in times like this you have to reconcile yourself with the fact that you still have your health. Complaining just seems futile, especially when no-one really wants to listen or do anything to help. I just feel sorry for all those stranded travellers who had to bed down in the terminal last night, at least I could grab a cab back home.

However, what IS infuriating is the whole re-booking process. All of the phone lines seem to be saturated, or just don’t work. And nothing can be done online, it seems. And just thinking about heading back to the airport to stand in line for hours makes me feel ill.

The questions that have to be answered are:
– why do the airlines tolerate the shoddy operating procedures by BAA?
– having lived in snowy climates myself for years, major airports do not shut down the way LHR does, so why does LHR do this?
– for all the fees that BAA charges airlines, and us passengers, why is not more money invested in technology and apparatus that deals with ice and snow?

I guess we will just have to see it out.

Stay warm everyone.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls