Reply To: Chaos at T5…nowCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines Chaos at T5…now Reply To: Chaos at T5…now

TominScotland
Participant

Just made it back after my Friday 10.15 flight AMS – GLA was cancelled…..

I arrived in AMS at 08.15 yesterday from Tallin with its 3 foot of snow and the GLA flight was showing delayed but almost immediately was cancelled. KLM re-booked me on a BHX flight with connection to GLA. We boarded that and were being de-iced in a blizzard when the airport was closed.

Little hope of an alternative flight yesterday and I heard that KLM were paying for passengers to take the train so headed down to the station – all EuroStar seats booked Friday and unlikely to be any on Saturday. But the girl suggested the boat and there is one from IJmuiden to Newcastle, leaving nightly at 5.30 (ContinentalClub – this is your Tees Valley answer, by the way). Booked a berth via the phone – I was told this was the last place available!!

Headed into Amsterdam by train (many were being cancelled) and went to take the DFDS bus to IJmuiden – 25km took us 4 hours!! as the Dutch do not grit roads at all and drivers have not a clue how to cope – gridlock!

The ship was great – good food, clean etc. Arrived North Shields after a great sleep and took the train up here as the snow arrived. Apparently the last flight to Glasgow last night did make it from AMS but could not know that so just glad to be back home. So the only challenge now is my luggage….