Reply To: BA seat 60B – upstairs 747-400

Back to Forum

barnacles
Participant

Any news, Martyn, on the ‘investigation’? I

n the meantime, here’s a thing. Last month, from JNB to LHR, I was given seat 60B at check-in (some time before the flight crew arrived at the airport). When I said how unusual this was, I was told by the check-in girl that “when the flight is full we release the seat”.

This begs a number of questions. Firstly, who authorises the release? Secondly, when and how? Thirdly, what happens if the Captain arrives with a relative and ‘kicks up stink’? On the night in question, the Captain’s son, travelling with him as a ‘cling-on’, got [the usual] F seat.

As a footnote, it’s worth noting that the JNB ground staff often fail to respect the rules. For example, those relating to the seniority of staff standby pax, so that friends of theirs/those who shout loudest at check-in or the gate often end up in better seats (e.g. J) than their seniority justifies, to the detriment of staff with more senior priority who end up in Y class.
Such is life!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls