Reply To: FF Premium Cards – Are you losing or consolidating?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines FF Premium Cards – Are you losing or consolidating? Reply To: FF Premium Cards – Are you losing or consolidating?

SimonRowberry
Participant

Yes, a good question, Mark.

I tend to earn my FF status on mileage flown rather than number of flights, and my hotel status on number of stays (or sometimes overall spend) rather than number of actual nights.

I managed to retain my Star Alliance Gold for the coming year, largely due to Swiss’ cheap Business Class tickets on sale six months ago. I’d hoped to reach One World Gold this year but I may have to stay at silver next year as my year runs out at the end of April and I probably can’t justify a long-haul trip simply for the sake of reaching Gold.

I’ve managed to retain my Hilton Diamond and SPG Gold and should keep those over the next 12 month period too.

So unlike Nigel, rather than being swings and roundabout this year, I’ve managed to stay where I am but not advance at all. I’m anticipating a pretty hectic travelling year ahead, but I think this’ll just lead me to being where I am now at the year end.

I get the distinct impression that some hotels (Hilton for example) and airlines (SK) are showing little or no flexibility and demoting people without any soft landing if the absolute threshold for a particular tier isn’t reached.

Paradoxically, this is the opposite to what seemed to be happening in better economic times a couple or years or so ago, when increasing tier levels as a loyalty tool seemed to be the name of the game if you narrowly missed a threshold. One would’ve thought that this was the time to be instilling loyalty.

Regards, Simon