Reply To: Why are budget airlines so successful?

Back to Forum

MartynSinclair
Participant

My take on budget airlines is that i just view them as another airline. Where i live in north London, Easy Jet offers a superb service from Luton. I can get to Luton within 20 minutes of my office and home, into the terminal, through security and onto the aircraft far quicker than it sometime takes me to get to Heahtrow or Gatwick. Easy Jets model of free seating is superb becasue it gets the people to the gate quickly on the basis that it fou dont get their on time, you wont get a good seat. I sm still happy to meander onto the aircraft last, take whatever is left and sit in my seat for max 2 hours and then get off at my destination and ready for work. The TV reality show “Airline” has shown people that you have to get to the airport an hour before or you DONT travel – end off – no excuses. You know what you get with Easy Jet and it works. In the states I use Jet Blue which has a very similar model except with better inflight entertainement. Have free live TV, bring your own headsets – is another novel way to keep pax entertained. Top marks to Easy Jet and Jet Blue for bringing short haul travel in a good and economical way.

The other side of budget travel is Ryan Air, an airline that as a company we have banned our staff from using. I dont like airlines that lie, I dont like airlines that cheat elderly customers, i dont like airlines that cut their costs to the bone cos eventually bones shatter and i wouldnt trust an airline whose CEO goes on camera and suggests blow jobs should be a perk for travellers in its new business class (see You Tube).I am sure that Ryan Air has plenty of fans and good luck to them, but in my mind, Ryan Air has done for flying what Time Share salesman have donen for holiday property ownership.

Why Are Budget Airlines so successfull? Well if you offer someting for £1, that is gerneally may hundreds of pounds, you are bound to become successfull. Its all about how you market it and the honest and forthright way you come come across as a brand leader or a fake!

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls