Reply To: BA strikers to lose travel perksCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines BA strikers to lose travel perks Reply To: BA strikers to lose travel perks

Binman62
Participant

Couple of points.

BAs customer base is global not solely UK based so the comment about the British getting the airline they deserve is meaningless. Indeed the public and in particular the reactionary press in this country love nothing more than knocking BA and have done for years. They continue to do so via comments that BA has cancelled 37% of flights. That means 63% operated and that is frankly better than on a foggy day.
BA success has been gained through offering products and services that are world beating and are delivered in a consistent and professional manner by well paid and motivated staff. The staff, including crew, now enjoy some of the best facilities, pay, uniform, subsidies canteen facilities, and benefits of any organisation in the UK, if it were not so then the airline would not be doing as well as it is.

Comparisons with Cathy are ridiculous as that airline cut everyone’s pay down to 3 weeks for every 4 worked without agreement just last year.

BA has not made an employee redundant through anything but voluntary means since it was privatised. Indeed they go to incredible lengths to protect staff in major re organisations. In recent times this included all non London based ground staff being offered 3 choices when ground handling was contracted out. These choices included jobs with the ground handler, crew jobs or generous redundancy packages. Those who took crew roles also had a year in which to change their mind and take redundancy.

Current crew have been reduced by 1 on 747, they will have to work that bit harder but the hours spent in the crew bunks on long range sectors will not be cut. For years they have held the firm to ransom and their intransigent representatives are now being taken on. It was cabin crew who 3 and 4 years ago regularly forced BA to close the First Cabins on flights as they would not operate 1 down. Passengers were inconvenienced and it added to Bas costs and damaged it reputation. No business can tolerate being held to ransom like this and how many of us have to daily cover for colleagues who may be ill or simply having a duvet day.

63% of crew who should have been on duty reported for duty last weekend. That tells me all I need to know. A minority of very vocal aggressive and badly led staff are on strike, many more spineless individuals will have gone sick rather than stick to a principle or show where their loyalty really lies, but over 63% want to work. Enough said..

Good on WW on this one. I am voting with my feet and cash. I fly BA this weekend in F and looking forward it immensely.