Reply To: BA strikers to lose travel perksCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines All airlines BA strikers to lose travel perks Reply To: BA strikers to lose travel perks

The_Flying_Nurse
Participant

Good on Willie Walsh for removing staff travel perks for the striking crew, they were warned about this prior to the strike so I don’t see how they can complain about it now. BA long haul LHR crew have had it too good for too long. Their terms, conditions and allowances have been amongst the best in the airline industry. The striking crew are currently acting like spoiled children, most probably because they have unfortunately been overindulged by BA in the past with regard to pay, allowances and rest time. In comparison to other airlines their working environment and conditions are excellent, as are the allowances that they get for time away from base. I can see why crew would have issues, anxieties and anger over the fact that they will have to work harder because of reduced crew numbers on board and less rest time down route. I also understand that people have financial commitments and may find a cut in their pay and allowances hard to cope with. It does however infuriate me that the crew being affected by the proposed cost cutting measures don’t seem to realise or care about how precarious a financial position BA is in at the moment. We are currently in a worldwide recession and many people have either lost their jobs or have had to cope with new ways of working in order to hold on to the positions they do have. Why are BA crew so arrogant to think that they should be exempt from changes to their terms and conditions during such a bad economical climate? Life stinks, but you sometimes just have to get on with it. An alternative would be to leave the company but as an ex Virgin Atlantic crew member, I worked with a lot of crew who wanted to leave flying but had become very bitter because they were trapped in their jobs as they weren’t particularly skilled, educated enough or of an appropriate age to make the move. I think that could also be the case for many of the striking BA crew, so perhaps leaving their jobs isn’t a viable option. It certainly won’t be if or when their selfish strike action ruins the airline.