Reply To: Boeing or Airbus Aircraft?

Back to Forum

MarcusUK
Participant

Wow, that’s a great array of answers..thanks for taking the time…

All the points are easily agreed with…!
There is something wonderful about climbing the stairs on the 747 to the upper cabin, perhaps as it was so unique to other Aircraft.
A real thrill too, to land somewhere, your getting on n off…& walk down some stairs so you stand under yr plane. It really hits you the power of this huge machine. many Airports sort of” clinicalise” your experience, it dis-emminates you from the machine.

However, I flew the SQ A380 to Australia in Sept, 3/4 sectors. The stairs are great as ever but like an Art Deco cinema all lit at each side & very broad, 3 times the width of the 747. Looked very elegant & beautiful. Winding stairs at the rear also. With the great sofa of a Business seat it really felt very special.

I am also falling on the side of Airbus. Course it depends on the cabin layout, where you sit, but the A345/6 is really quiet, elegant. ( I travelled regularly on Etihad AUH – SYD). Its is also true about the A380, that is it so quiet on take off, smooth & quick to adjust in turbulence, & truly the technology is admirable.

Perhaps above all, its nice to see a big new Aircraft.
Psychologically, we are all made smaller aboard , one of many, mass organisation to enable the whole process, complicated, engineering & technology beyond one man’s capability to bring about. I am sure i always feel safer & comfortable on the larger more up to date Aircraft Flying itself, joining us to far places & people, is a gift.

Perhaps this is where the stress & grumbles come in now, with enhanced security & it is so long from packing to travelling to & from, that this is the centre piece of al the effort. Jamming more of us in, takes the experience away.
To this extent, i really feel the best, days are behind us for travel. I still make an effort to be smart, as if going to a good restaurant, enjoy the lounge experiences, & behave with the codes associated with it. It is a treat.
Lets hope some of these elements are not pushed further out by the financial climate, & we can continue to enjoy this great opportunity..

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls