Reply To: SQ new 773 /A333 Regional business seat to oz

Back to Forum

suitdude30
Participant

I agree with all the negative comments re. the varied C class products on the different aircraft. Why is there no consistency? Flying between MEL and SIN every other month in the past 14 months, I have found the 773 to be extremely noisy and uncomfortable, and the provision of just one meal (either supper OR breakfast) is appalling, considering that the airfare is the same as one would pay on 773-ER or A380. Having flown SIN-MEL a fortnight ago, the 773 was so old that the seats were not only frayed, but the tiny PTV screen was creaky and its resolution so poor as to render it almost unwatchable.

I had been looking forward to sampling the refurbished C on the 773 (which has still NOT reached the SIN-MEL route yet!), but after reading so many negative posts, perhaps I won’t bother.

On the subject of the unrefurbished 773, the F seat is only a little more comfortable than its C counterpart, on account of more legroom, but one would expect a full-flat bed rather than a reclining chair on an overnight flight (as is the case on SQ 237 SIN-MEL). Once again, you pay the same fare as on the 773-ER (though less than R class (Suites) on the A380, yet are only offered either supper OR breakfast, yes, even in F class. Simply appalling. Yes, one could argue, why not just pick the better aircraft, but often, circumstances do not permit you the luxury of such choice.

Re. Silver Kris lounge in Changi T3, I have no complaints, and give SQ full marks for its F class section, esp the Private Room for full-fare paying passengers, where meals are a la carte.

I agree that SQ’s standards have dropped considerably, and is no longer my first choice, since its airfares are almost identical to QF’s. On the Oz-SIN route, I would also consider EK, and if I don’t need to stop in SIN, then definitely Etihad.

In January, I flew F overnight SIN-MEL, and had to change seats 3 times because of defects (electric footrest would not extend), and there was a large piece of plastic hanging loose from the seat in front of me (I was in 2A). I asked for both supper and breakfast, and the response was a grudging…”errr…….ok”. All this for A$5,700 return, and I was the only passenger in F! When I wrote a complaint to SQ, all I received was a one-class upgrade voucher, which I thought simply pathetic.

I do wonder if SQ is resting on its laurels and trading solely on its (once) sterling reputation. Perhaps people don’t care enough to vote with their feet and their wallets.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls