Reply To: Middle Eastern carriers’ service standards drop

Back to Forum

MarkCymru
Participant

I’ve flown QR about ten times over the past two years and have been very impressed. I agree with RFerguson that the crew can be a bit robotic sometimes but actually I’ve found them pretty good at accomodating requests for just fruit or just some hors d’oeuvres. It is a bit more hit and miss with the ground staff in Doha but the premium terminal is usually really good and the people seem keen to help however they can. The separate buses for first and business also appear every time and save a lot of grief (AF, BA, LH and OS could learn from this)

Unlike other posters, I have had uniformly excellent experiences with Air India service. I fly it about ten times a year and never find them less than acceptable. On long haul, they are often 10 / 10. You get friendly and very personal service — they cope with any special requests quickly and pleasantly. Most of the long-haul FAs are older and they bring a real maturity to the job that makes them the opposite of robotic. I think they are used to Indian passengers requesting things exactly the way the passenger wants them. I do worry a bit about the reports of pilots getting locked out of the cockpit but overall I have a pretty cavalier attitude to airline safety anyway (any carrier you pick is incalculably safer than the trip by car to the airport so we should keep things in perspective)

Even Aeroflot has been pretty good to me. The crew won’t win any awards for being bubbly but they’re usually efficient and courteous. We were stuck on the ground at Heathrow for an hour and they handed out hors d’oeuvres and a full bar service. I don’t think you’ll get that on many other carriers.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls