Reply To: East Coast DUNDEE – KINGS CROSS

Back to Forum

AllOverTheGaff
Participant

LuganoPirate – 01/05/2013 12:24 GMT
Another factor in the price debate is the cost of getting to/from the airport, taxi, parking etc. This can add considerably to the fare versus arriving in the city and going straight to hotel with a short taxi ride.

Hi LP

Using the same EDI – LHR option my additional costs for a 3 night weekend break in London would be:
£39.00 Round trip from my gaff to EDI airport in fuel (130 miles at 20 MPG x £6.00 per gallon)
£50.00 Airport parking (I could do long-stay for cheaper but I won’t, every time I fly I use the multi-story car park)
£68.00 Heathrow Express return tickets
£157.00 total

And, just to be fair I shall deduct the £20.00 it cost me for a taxi from my gaff to the train station in Dundee.

So, the net cost saving to me is £137.00 by not flying, this assumes of course I could have got 2 return tickets to LHR for £230.00, I’ve just looked at a weekend in June and the fare is £531.00 for two passengers to arrive into London and back home in Dundee at around the same times as the train.

So, £668.00 total cost with loads of hassle and interaction I don’t enjoy or £230.00, a couple of movies and one hour longer point to point with no hassle, as much luggage as I can carry and a wee snooze here and there…..perhaps an occasional G & T and some grub en route.

I am back to London again end of May, and I can tell you normally I hate the journey, quite looking forward to my train adventure, I am 100% converted.

Now, where’s that old anorak of mines……..

Rgds.
AOTG.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls