Reply To: Deplorable Gatwick Express

Back to Forum

NTarrant
Participant

SimonS1 – 27/11/2015 22:17 GMT
“There is no excuse for cancelling services at short notice” err, yes there is, no driver for whatever reason, no guard (for guard operated services), broken train, faitality etc, the list goes on.

What DavidGordon10 said was that his train was not stopping at Gatwick. Skipping stops is ok if they are minor stops but Gatwick is a very important stop and effects and confuses people.

Some years ago I was travelling from the south coast through the Arun Valley and the train was already 20 minutes late getting to Horsham, on leaving it was announced that we wouldn’t stop at Gatwick resulting in confused people having to change at Three Bridges. When I asked the guard he said that it was because there are plenty of services to London from Gatwick.

I wrote to Southern and pointed out that whilst the guard is correct, what about the people already on the train etc. Following that I didn’t have the same problem on late running trains, although not having done the journey for over two years that might have changed!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls