Reply To: Renationalising the UK rail network – a good idea?Create Topic

Home Forums Rail Travel Train Operators Renationalising the UK rail network – a good idea? Reply To: Renationalising the UK rail network – a good idea?

MrMichael
Participant

I am on the side of having a state owned railway, that is not to say that I believe state ownership is the right thing for other things. I can see no advantage to the privatised railways, it is still being subsidised by the Taxpayer with private enterprise creaming it off. The fiasco of National Express walking away from the East Mainline was the last straw for me. Any business in the private sector must take a certain amount of risk…no business can exist without a certain level of risk taking. Sometimes it goes wrong and a loss is made, and has to be absorbed. In the case of National Express, they just walked, and to me that was a disgraceful thing to allow to happen. If a company takes too much risk….and it does not pan out….you go bust. So how come National Express is still walking tall? It seems to me it is a business model for the private sector with potential profit and no loss….a one way bet at the expense of the taxpayer. Disgraceful.