Reply To: Renationalising the UK rail network – a good idea?Create Topic

Home Forums Rail Travel Train Operators Renationalising the UK rail network – a good idea? Reply To: Renationalising the UK rail network – a good idea?

canucklad
Participant

Hi NTarrant
I witnessed a conductor a couple of weeks ago demand (probably better to use the word extort a substantial amount of cash) from 3 young lads, going up to Edinburgh for the weekend. Clearly on a tight budget, they had purchased saver tickets for a specific train.

Their error…..My train pulled into the same platform at York , at exactly the same time as their train should have . Clearly not being train spotters and both trains heading to their destination, they got on. … Boards not updated, or warnings given, and a jobs worth gestapo guard as a conductor and what have we got……

An occurrence that I’ve seen time and time again and again…..

It’s particularly embarrassing when the rigidity is enforced on visitors to this country, who are overwhelmed by the complexity and sheer ambiguity of train ticketing in this country. And if I was a cynic, designed deliberately to catch the stupid and naïve amongst us out !!!

As I said…SHAMBOLIC !!