Reply To: Rail – a better way for short trips

Back to Forum

AllOverTheGaff
Participant

Irons80 – 29/04/2013 13:59 GMT
However, I have to disagree about EDI or GLA. Where I live in London, you have to get a cab or tube to Euston or KX, so that can take up to an hour and then you have a 4 hour + train trip. Therefore, I’d rather simply drive to airport, park, enjoy the lounge and then it’s a short flight to EDI. I still feel overall it’s a quicker and nicer experience than the train.

Well, you’d have to factor in a couple of things to your timings:
1) How long it takes you to get to LHR
2) You need to be checked in at LHR 90 minutes before to allow for the awful security
3) You might not get any use of the lounge if security take their time (last two times I’ve flown back from LHR on a domestic flight I’ve not had time for lounge)

The train from Kings Cross to Edinburgh is just over 4 hours, given you are 90 mins before flight and a gate-to-gate of 90 minutes the flight is already at 3 hours, so the net ‘loss of time’ taking out travel to airport or train station is one hour. Once at EDI airport you are another half hour to get to central EDI, wait for bags etc….Waverley is right in the heart of the city.

I entirely disagree about flying from LHR being a more pleasant experience, it is precisely because of LHR that I choose the train, I find flying to/from there awful. Rude staff, long queues, hopeless security, delays, uber crowded lounges and a stressful unpleasant experience every time I fly from there.

My train journey this past weekend could not have been less stressful, no hassles, no crowds, no rude staff, no queues…..very tranquil and at worst it cost me an hour of my time, at best it was much the same time point to point.

Rgds.
AOTG.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls