Reply To: Armed British Transport Police to patrol rail network

Back to Forum

O.C.D.P
Participant

I am intrigued Redjohn to hear what you believe then to be the reason for armed officers being deployed if it is not to protect people and infrastructure? I presume there is some ‘fascinating’ conspiracy theory to follow?

I really dont believe that what happened in the De Menezes case should hamstring current measures for public security. On another day the actions taken by the officers involved may well have prevented a terrorist attrocity. De Menezes was essentially in the wrong place at the wrong time, days after 1 of the deadliest terror attacks on the UK.

I do agree that armed police ‘is not the British way’, and in an ideal world no police officer would need to be armed, however i am sure you are well aware that this is not an ideal world and the simple fact that they have not been required in the past does not mean they are not required now. As previously stated the nature of the threats to the UK have changed and our security posture has to adapt to reflect this, if it were not necessary it would not be happening.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls