Reply To: Virgin Trains first class decline…

Back to Forum

SimonRowberry
Participant

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened to the Virgin advance purchase tickets in F? The same for CrossCountry (my local operator now that Virgin lost the franchise through Leamington Spa)?

Only a year or two ago, one could buy very cheap F advance purchase tickets from L Spa to, for example, Manchester. These no longer seem to exist at all. I’m going to Tunbridge Wells in a couple of weeks, from Bham. I got a relatively cheap one-way from New Street to Euston (around GBP 40 in F), but there were no advanced purchase F tickets available from CrossCountry for the return (direct to L Spa, rather than B’ham), via Reading.

I went from New Street to Milton Keynes the other week. Over GBP 150 for a return on Virgin in F (the journey’s about an hour each way) – crazy prices and, as others have said above, very little catering.

Mind you, Virgin’s F product is still better than CrossCountry’s, where the catering consists of no alcohol, unlimited tea/coffee/juice, a newspaper and, if you’re lucky, a microwaved bacon roll.

Simon

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls