Reply To: Virgin Trains first class decline…Create Topic

Home Forums Rail Travel Train Operators Virgin Trains first class decline… Reply To: Virgin Trains first class decline…

NTarrant
Participant

Does this mean ContinentalClub that we will have to meet secretly at the end of platform 9 at Clapham Junction??

I agree that the zonal approach is not the way either, the problem is that in BR days they cast aside the mileage system for a market based approach and the base fares changed. I think that there should be a return to basics. This anytime and off peak means very little to most people. For example how is it that I can catch the 0530 Havant to Victoria train and get off at Gatwick with an off peak return (not day) but need an anytime if I go to Victoria. People just don’t understand it!

What they should do I think is a return to a base mileage system where the unrestricted tickets, lets call them “ordinary”, are easy to understand, a single is a single and a return is say 15% less than two singles. A day return could then be say 25% less except for off peak tickets (people understand off peak day returns not period returns) which the discount could vary. After that whatever advance purchase tickets you like.

Like you say they have the opportunity to test a new ticket system on East Coast. Frankly, Passenger Focus are a waste of time, run by academics who hardly ever travel by train and don’t have a clue.

Now Seat61 Jim, what a site that is, I have only had a brief look at some of the things it has to offer. Certainly the section on Caledonian Sleepers is fantastic, whoever has put this together has done a better job of showing what it is like than Scotrail with acurate pictures.

I also looked at New Zealand and was amazed at how much work had gone into descriptions of the main journeys and again very accurate pictures. Lots of tips, even down to the shuttles that can take you to/from the station at Christchurch and up to date prices.

Can’t wait to look at the other countries and report back.