Reply To: Alex On…SIA’s slimmer Y+ seating

Back to Forum

Alex_F.
Participant

As a bigger build tall person, premium economy is an attractive long haul option.

The extra legroom is the main reason I choose Y+ but were the seat to be so narrow that my hip presses hard against the arm rest (like in standard economy) I’d wonder whether I was getting value in terms of comfort.

This slimmer variant of SQ’s new Y+ seat runs the risk of this happening to bigger built travelers.

But not that many people are 6’4 and 120kgs!

I wonder whether most will notice the tighter configuration, or actually care. For most business and premium leisure travellers, Y+ is not just about space, but also the additional luggage, exclusivity, enhanced meal (how ‘enhanced’ depending on the airline) and the extra points. The ability to work on a larger than economy sturdy table is less likely to be impacted by a slightly narrower seat than it would if legroom was reduced should the person in front recline.

So looks like SQ may have made a calculated risk that the newer slimmer Y+ seat won’t offend enough of their customers to justify reducing the cabin from 8 to 7 abreast – safeguarding the economics of the product.

That said, as AMcWhirter alludes to above… will I still feel this positive after 12 hours from SIN to LHR?

Maybe not.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls