Reply To: Another Virgin Marketing Blunder

Back to Forum

dutchyankee
Participant

Have any of you read the following story on CNN (slow news day I guess)?

Madonna and her entourage were let off a Virgin Atlantic plane that was stuck on a snowy tarmac two hours before any of the other passengers, according to London’s Daily Mail.

The flight from New York was originally destined for London’s Heathrow Airport but instead landed at Stansted Airport due to bad weather, where the plane sat for about three hours, said the Daily Mail.

“As the plane was diverted to Stansted due to very difficult weather conditions, disembarkation was delayed while ground staff waited for buses to transport customers back to London Heathrow,” said a statement from Virgin Atlantic. “We apologize for any inconvenience this diversion caused, but for safety reasons this action was unavoidable.”

According to other first-class passengers, Madonna and her associates were let off the plane first and were taken by bus to the terminal, said the story.

Virgin said in their statement, “It is common across airlines that business and first-class passengers disembark first and this is reflected in the higher cost of the ticket.”

Still, no other first-class passengers were allowed off the flight for another two hours, though they were reportedly treated to a performance from the Queen of Pop herself, passengers told the Daily Mail — a yoga performance in the aisles, that is.

How absurd is this. And Virgin’s excuses are one after another BS. No one questions the diversion, what should be questioned is why one passenger and entourage were allowed to deplane whilst others had to wait. Virgin itself stated that it is common place that Business and First (how Virgin would know what is common in First is beyond me as they don’t even have First) passenegers disembark first, and yet only Madonna and her entourage were afforded that luxury, all others in Upper Class had to wait.

Discriminatory, maybe, disgraceful for sure! A typical publicity stunt for Virgin, but one I hope will have serious negative implications! It just adds insult to injury when Virgin makes such a decision, and thousands of other travellers around Europe are suffering, waiting, hoping to get where they wish to be. Reading this, I for one will never set foot on Virgin again!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls