Reply To: Business to New Zealand

Back to Forum

AussieM
Participant

These Awards given to Airlines, are very dubious sometimes!
Many are given to pretty average Airlines, often voted or sponsored by businesses who appear rather biased, or regions voting for their own local Airlines!!!

We all know who the more independant awards are, those voted more by a truly international passenger group.
We all also know the good airlines around, the financially secure, the reputable service, food, age of the aircraft, lounge facilities, ground services.

Some Airlines have dared to be a little different, such as Virgin, Etihad, pushing forwards services & seating ahead of the others. I have also flown Air NZ, & have to say their food & staff service was excellent, the seating not as private for travelling solo as say Etihad. I prefer the staggered arrangements rather than diag. for business seating.
Singapore have always been seen deservedly as the best in the world, & they appear to retain this. Their new Raffles is better than most Airlines First services. the new terminal & first as well as business lounges in Changi, are excellent.
(Tip- if you fly even between SIN-KUL, you use the First lounge, including the A La Carte dining). I was lucky to fly SYD-SIN-KUL Raffles, but on the SIN-KUL route its classed as a First ticket, with a C seat!

Its now becoming a global need for secure financially stable, reputable Airlines, probably those in larger groups or well financed, to cary through the tough times ahead. Huge amounts of business travel is going to be lost, & profit & revenue.
The most reputable, will hold their own.
Our loyalty & where we put our business will be very important, where it has been taken for granted in recent years. Personally, i support & choose those who dare to be different, break the mould, are consistent in reputation over many years. New Aircraft, renewed fresh services, & really be cautious with Airlines in apparent decline, or open to changing markets.
Thai Airways for eg, discontinued First Class to Australasia, replaced new aircraft with older, & old style seating, they Lease 3/4 of the fleet now! recent instability in Thailand disruption at BKK, & the financial crisis, dont bode well, & Malaysian whom i have been loyal to for yeasrs have reduced their international market, & face stiff competition from Air Asia.

I think we have to change our choice perceptions also. Stability, consistency, & a sound financial structure are vital now, new aircraft, efficient operations, regional competition, mega Alliances.

These aspects influence me more than some predictable award in this downturn for the industry.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls