Reply To: Driving License requirements for UK rentals.

Back to Forum



It is a little known fact in the UK that all EC driving licences have a paper counterpart.

NTarrant’s and continental club’s explanations about the offences listing is also true of other licences, as these are not printed on the photocard and cc is right when he says that you only have a licence when both parts are produced together.

NomadicTendencies, I would not rely on this process, since the last time I hired a car at LGW, this situation applied to the customer in front of me and the rental company (a household name) flatly refused to do this, even though the customer proactively suggested it.

I carry both parts of my licence with me at all times, since a rental company (or indeed a policeman) is entitled to ask to see it. I do not often get asked to produce the paper part, however. The last time was in the UK, but it was about 3 years ago – the woman at the car rental counter was very sharp (in the swtiched on sense, as she was also polite) and well aware that all EC licences are 2 part, kudos to her.

In Germany (possibly some other countries, too) one must also produce either an ID card or a passport, since the local laws mandate that ID must be established and a photo driving licence does not meet this need.

Vintage Krug, if you wish to be clever, he may carry a licence, but be required to prove that he is licensed by producing the licence.

Practically, I really don’t see what great harm is done when the context of the sentence is so clear, it is hardly an event to put the ravens to flight, but if it keeps you happy……

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below