Reply To: Ask the travel manager: 4

Back to Forum

LuganoPirate
Participant

I actually agree with you MrMichael but that’s why I harken back to a gentler more civilised age, and by no means was I criticising the safety of the LCC’s.

I was 18 before I flew regularly, and till then had made just five return flights by air and not travelling did me no harm, gaining knowledge through books, documentaries and of course, school.

I just think the sort of mass tourism we have today spoils so much of the local culture and does more harm than good. The popular resorts in Spain and Cyprus spring to mind as tourists demand their fish and chips or frankfurters, as do tourists who climb in high heeled shoes over statues in Egypt. All bought about by cheap travel.

While it does mean cheaper travel for me on the Legacies, and I do go for the cheapest fares, only because there’s no difference in service between the cheap economy fares or the expensive ones. Business class in Europe is a joke with little to differentiate it between Economy other than a better sandwich or snack and a glass of champagne – sometimes. Seat size and legroom is mostly the same as Economy.

I’d be more than happy, and I recognise I’m in a big minority here, to pay more for a decent sized economy seat with proper service. Alas, it’s unlikely to be!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls