Reply To: Mrs P’s Alaskan Adventures

Back to Forum

Papillion53
Participant

So here we are Mrs P and the long-suffering DH off on our adventures again.

Where to this time, asked one of the DH colleagues. “I’ll aska” (for those of you who didn’t get it …. ALASKA! We are heading first to the Land of Canucklad (YVR), driving down to Seattle, cruising out of Seattle to Alaska on the Oceania Regatta which will return us to Seattle from where we will drive back up again to YVR before heading home. Why all the driving to and for. No avios availability on the dates we wanted to SEA, so I booked the next best thing, and what’s a short drive through some of the most spectacular scenery of the Pacific north west!

First step ABZ, whisked through Fast Track Security, and I beeped the machine. I was given an extremely thorough pat down, in fact to the point of being quite intrusive that I felt quite uncomfortable, and of course I was separated from my carry on whilst the female security person made me take my shoes off to go through the scanner. Prior to the hand pat down, she did tell me it was my shoes that had triggered the machine and they could see why it was, so why the vigorous pat down? What would she have done if I had been wearing a skirt. I did mention the pat down to one of the shop assistants and she said I was not the first to have said something and suggested I email BAA as it would appear that they have this new younger member of the security team who is rather aggressive in her pat downs. So if they know, why haven’t they done something about her. Tone it down I would say.

We spent a short time in the Terraces lounge. Very friendly welcome from the lounge angel. It is a bit dull in there and the offerings were a few platters of quartered sandwiches which were egg and salad and I think tuna mayo. There were 3 large jars of loose biscuits – reminded me of when I was very small going into Woollies for broken biscuits out of boxes! Not a Walker’s in sight.

And soon we were on board our A319 down to LHR T5. Straight through Fast Track, no problem and no problem storing our bags above row 3. Seemed a pretty full flight and we were quickly airborne on time with a flight time of one hour 10 minutes. There is always something special about taking off from your home airport on a beautiful sunny day and trying to recognise familiar landmarks from the air.

CC came round with drinks from the bar, tea or coffee me a choice of Lily O’Briens double chocolate chip cookies (2 in a pack for those missing the Walkers biccies!), Kettle Crisps or nut mixture.

Having not flown for a while I did notice that the safety video had changed, or maybe it was this aircraft, or maybe it was me!

On another note, a very dirty, faded, rusty looking BA aircraft came in just as we were waiting to pull back from our stand. It looked like it has been lying out in the sun and has turned a dirty cream colour with no blue markings at all, and the tail fin was faded to a dirty orange. Where did they find this aircraft? We also saw that there was a BA flight to Menorca this afternoon, I didn’t know they flew direct from ABZ, so must check that out for possible future use. Was it a charter but I think this faded aircraft would be Menorca bound.

Arrived into LHR T5 on time and went through flight connections and through the White Door for a spot of lunch.

While we were sitting out on the CCR terrace, we spotted another of those “faded” aircraft pulling onto a stand. Oh how stupid I felt – ok you’ve probably guessed already, it was the Olympic gold livery! It is now quite faded and needs to go – it just looks a mess!

Concorde room at LHR

Through the white door and it was Time for lunch. I had decided not to have with a spa treatment as the last time, it really was not worth the bother and today I was looking forward to a leisurely lunch with my DH after all the rushing around that always happens before you leave home!

I had mushroom soup which was a bit gloopy. The DH had a chicken Caesar salad. In the absence of any fish cakes which I really fancied, I had the Chicken Caesar for my main and the DH had sea bass. So mark down from me for only having half a dozen choices of main course and then one wasn’t available! The food was ok and the service was very good with pleasant staff. I did sample a couple of the new biscuits with my post-lunch cup of tea and they were very nice indeed. They were brought by the staff, so not sure where they came from.

A little ditty – I kid you not there was a guy siting in one of the booths opposite us, having lunch and he produced a long french baguette – you know the longest one you can buy at the bakery, and has filled it with something or other to make a sandwich – he had produced this whilst I was at the ladies room, so I am relying on the DH for this information. He cut it up into four and ate one portion with his soup, the others were cling filmed – did he bring cling film from home I wonder? – and then wrapped it all into a napkin pinched off his table. Now I am in a moral dilemma, do I daub him in? Or will he be forever known as the “Napkin Nicker”??? 😉 :-))

The CCR is busy and as always there are those who like to make their presence felt … Say no more!

We are going to book a cabana for our return in 3 weeks time and see what happens as the lounge ladies were very cheery so lets put them to the test. Successfully done – our request was met and we are in the diary for our return.

We were going to wander through to the Flounge on the way to our gate, and see if any of the “disaster” tales are unfolding there today, but ran out of time.

We did visit the lounge at the B gates and I’ve already told you about that visit.

Next up BA New F to YVR!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls