Reply To: Which airline serves the best food in business?

Back to Forum

andrew007
Participant

I do not know which flights the defenders of BA take but they are certainly not on the West Africa route. Never more than 2 starters to choose from and a more limited choice for mains. I voted with my feet since my last post (February) and now use one of the alternatives, almost all of which bar Emirates offer a far more attracttive C class fare. Since February I have recently used Ethiopian; even they offer 4 mains including meat, fish and veggie options. In addition, on daytime flights out of Addis you can have the additional option of an Ethiopian plate between the appitiser and main. So much did I enjoy this that I took a second portion of this and skipped the main offerings. Accepted, that food is not for all but I believe the airline is to be credited for their immagination.
In the last 6 months I have had another dismal experience on SAA where choices have been cut to just 2 mains and in my mind quality has taken a similar dive to BA. I have flowen shorter regional sectors on KQ in both business and economy and, perhaps oddly, they offer a bigger meal to Y class passengers than C class on some of these routes.
Noting the bad experience a previous poster had on KLM I must say that I usually find them very good. I am sometimes frustrated by the fact evening flights have only 2 main choices and both of these a meat – I prefer to avoid meat at this time of day. What I do like though is that they offer a generous light starter plate – usually fish inspired (accept that is no good for a portion of customers either). This I find often will suffice, especially as they serve breakfast just a few short hours later. A word too on their short haul C class offerings. This was revamped a while back and now comes in a box and offers two contrasting dishes. Most recently I was served dried smoked beef on a bed of parmisan cream accompanied with balls of mozerella filled with honey in one serving. The other was scones in a raspberry compote served with fresh strawberries – both fresh, adequate servings for a one hour flight and offered with an excellent cup of coffee and premium quality orange juice.
Finally, a word on Thai; this is an airline I use to like very much but my most recent experience saw their C class offering make the transition to some variation of nouvelle cuisine with no choice on their regional routes (up to 3 hours).
Shall continue to follow this thread with interest.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls