Reply To: Jet Lag – Help Needed!

Back to Forum

Bath_VIP
Participant

I arrived back in the UK on Friday after an 8 day holiday in Vancouver & Seattle. Whilst out there, I generally went to bed around 10pm and woke up around 4/5 am so I didn’t fully adjust to the time zone. On my return flight, I only got 2 hours sleep at most despite being in business class (I am a poor sleeper in any case on flights).

I have 20 years of long haul flying experience and have long since learned the tricks of readjusting to UK time. My main trick is to not to force my bedtimes to begin with and accept I will go to sleep around 2am on the first night and not to schedule any early morning meetings for 3 days or so. I then bring my bedtimes forward about an hour or so a day and within a few days, everything is fine.

This time though, it’s all gone wrong. Friday night I went to bed at 0030 and went to sleep straightaway. Saturday night, again went to bed at 0030 but didn’t get to sleep until 0230 but last night was a disaster, going to bed at 0030 again but not getting to sleep until 0430. Far from readjusting, I seem to be going in the opposite direction.

I have to be up at 0630 tomorrow morning and 0700 on Thursday morning. Any advice on how I can get myself back in sync would be greatly appreciated.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls