Reply To: Have you ever travelled abroad for medical treatment?

Back to Forum

capetonianm
Participant

I considered having a dental implant done in various countries, I looked at options of South Africa, Poland, Hungary, Colombia and Malaysia, having heard first hand good reports of all. Colombia may seem an odd choice but my Colombian friend’s brother is a highly regarded maxillo-facial (sp?) surgeon there.

The problem was that it’s a three step process spread over about 5 months and this meant committing to being in specific places at specific times and to three return airfares. With an irregular travel schedule, often at short notice, this was not practical. My other concern was that if anything went wrong with the implant or it became infected, it could mean a long, expensive, and possibly painful journey across the world to have it fixed.

In the end I had it done in France as I was in their social security system and I was spending most of my time in various European countries. Excellent, and about 70% of the not inconsiderable cost was refunded. Taking into account the long haul airfares I might have paid having it done in another part of the world, I probably came out even.

I was put off Poland and Hungary as the practices I contacted there became very pushy and were bombarding me with emails and ‘phone calls and ‘special prices’ if I signed on the dotted line within 3 days, and so on. Otherwise, it would have been South Africa.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls