Reply To: Have you ever travelled abroad for medical treatment?

Back to Forum

LHR_Fan
Participant

I haven’t travelled abroad for treatment but my mum has so I’d like to share her story if that is ok? Sorry if it goes on a bit.

She kept getting horrendous pains in her legs/knees but was constantly turned away by her G.P here in the UK almost as though she was an inconvenience and only given vitamin tablets to help her.

We then took a trip to India (luckily we have family there in the medical profession) who had her checked out by an orthapedic surgeon – and he advised IMMEDIATE knee replacement surgery otherwise she would be bed bound within a year.

That cost us £9k at the time (2005) to have both knees done for her and it is the best money we have ever spent. It’s given her a whole new lease of life.

Yes we could have come back to the UK and tried to get the NHS to do the op, but I had visions of being turned away by her G.P yet again saying that she doesn’t need surgery!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls