Reply To: Ideal for Y: New 11″ MacBook AirCreate Topic

Home Forums Other Technology Ideal for Y: New 11″ MacBook Air Reply To: Ideal for Y: New 11″ MacBook Air

DisgustedofSwieqi
Participant

I had an early portable PC, it had no hard drive, a 6″ CGA mono LCD screen and an 8086 family processor.

Things do change quickly in this field 😉

And I were lucky, mi mates had to mek do wi’t slate and chalk.

My choice, as a ‘road warrior’ is a lenovo X200s, which I have modified a little and which itself is only 12″ screen and 900gms weight with the standard battery – very nearly a netbook and will wipe a Mac air all over the floor for performance, connectivity and robustness (not a criticism of the Mac build quality, which is high) – it is built like a brick outbuilding (and also looks like one, so not for those who prefer form over function.) In terms of battery life, I can get up to 8 hours (real world, 9.8 claimed by manufacturer) with the extended battery, although I usually take the standard, as I’m not away from AC for that long.

The tweaks to my lenovo include a 500GB Seagate Momentus hybrid drive (HDD, with a 4GB SS buffer) – for anyone out there who would like more performance from a laptop, these are very much worth looking at.

Whilst not as fast as SSD, they do deliver a noticeable improvement, particulary in repetitive tasks and are a lot less expensive.