Reply To: what phone?Create Topic

Home Forums Other Technology what phone? Reply To: what phone?

conair346
Participant

At the risk of funny looks I’m going to wade in with the Nokia N8.
I find it amazing, like all phones it has its issues but as a phone it works great.

It has a 12MP camera and flash with 720p HD video recording. If on Orange it has HD voice which is scary, the clarity is unbelievable. Unlike the ifail it has a memory card slot. Free unlimited voice guided sat nav in most countries. Some of the best data management around, and uses far less than the iphone. Bluetooth is compatible with any device so you can send contact cards or files without the need to download apps. It also doesn’t need a paperclip to get at the sim should you wish to swap.

Nokia Ovi suite is going through some major beta updates and is getting more stable, theres also a dedicated Mac suite. It automatically syncs my local Outlook, online Exchange and the phones built in contacts database and calendar. I use it for my personal and Exchange based accounts and have direct homescreen access to my mails. I think it can handle upto 8 accounts but only one exchange.

Theres lots of options for the three homescreens including a calendar appointment widget, a smart ‘favourite’ contacts bar that learns home, work etc and gives you the contacts you use the most in those places at the time. RSS feeds, google search, missed call and message notification with preview.

But I think a real jewel of it, is the fact I don’t have to waste more money on a ‘tethering’ bundle. The network has no official way of knowing how you’re using your data, they cant tell if its web browsing itself or linked to a laptop. And its capable of flash.

If you can wait theres the W8 coming which will be built on the same hardware but with Windows as the MOS. I’m looking forward to that a lot!