Reply To: Vodafone Passport – any good?

Back to Forum

wishee71
Participant

On the face of it the scheme seems good but like a previous post just keep an eye on the detail in the bill. I travel frequently to Africa, India and Australasia and still find the roaming issues ridiculously expensive. I use local sim cards when there. Off course it is in the phone companies best interest to keep them inflated.
Here is the thing though; I was approached to invest in a technology that would enable you to receive a text, (as you do) when you arrive in the country, you would then have the option to be allocated a local number, which would divert to your existing number. This would then serve you for people who want to contact you whilst in the country and saving you a fortune in call charges and them! We were told in no uncertain terms when we took it through “proof of concept” it was not in the the phone companies interest to reduce call charges while roaming! We have discussions at stake holder level with the big operators so clearly they know it is a money spinner.

In conclusion none of the roaming charges are realistic and check your bill I have been stung for double billing on text and calls.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls