Reply To: Travel within, and to, IranCreate Topic

Home Forums Other Miscellaneous Travel within, and to, Iran Reply To: Travel within, and to, Iran

tomyam42
Participant

Mr. Michael: I spent 5 of my 74 years in Iran and they were the best years of my life. 4 1/2 were with the Shah and 6 months with the Ayatollah, after being in the thick of it at the time of his arrival. I managed to travel all over the country. The people, the country and its history were all superb. Unfortunately just before the end I believe the Ayatollah said to one of his underlings “you know that Tomyam chappie, I think it’s time you told him that he has trained his fellows so well that we no longer need him contributing to our economy” so off I went.

I returned for an independent tour based on Shiraz about 10 years ago. Again a wonderful time, no question of being accompanied. Most people dreamed of being in the West, but also believed it was a national insult that Pakistan and Russia (both bordering Iran) had nuclear weapons while they did not, being a country with 2500 years of history while Pakistan had barely 50 and Russia less than 1000.