Reply To: Signature Scents

Back to Forum

canucklad
Participant

I’m surprised more businesses don’t adopt this olfactory marketing strategy. It is after all our most powerful and emotive sense. A couple of years ago I needed to use the grubby little toilet in the pub at the Waverley, on entering and with one whiff I time travelled back 40 odd years into the cabin of an EAA VC10. And oddly the grubbiness dissipated.

But I suppose that’s the inherent risk in this venture For every positive association there is a chance of a negative association and the consequence of lost patronage. I would struggle to enjoy the company of a beautiful woman if she wore the same perfume of my lost love.

Another risk is the balance between subtlety and masking, as some have already pointed out, fag smell is disgusting, yet effectively masked even more abhorrent odours. Also , speaking as an ex retail manager I was never comfortable with the subliminal strategies used to free people of their hard earned cash. And even today resist the temptation to splash the cash on unneeded items.

So all in all, Iprobably resent this Derren Brown attack on my brains ability to decide my own fate. But then I regret not asking the barman were he purchased the time travelling scent.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls