Reply To: Tumi luggage – what’s the big deal?

Back to Forum

Schaible
Participant

We can talk long about luggage… It is the same like cars…. Depends how much and if you want to spend in a brand and if you care about design.

For 6 years I travel with the 2-wheel classic silver aluminum Rimowa (didn’t go for 4-wheel as I heard they break easier). Never had any problem or damage. I love them: one Jumbo and one Cabin Trolley. The cases look more individual with each additional dent, scratch and airport security sticker. Not cheap but a Porsche or a Range Rover isn’t cheap either…

When I first showed up with them at a Chinese airport they sent me over to special security check expecting that I am a journalist carrying some valuable equipment… Wouldn’t happen anymore today… China is Rimowa’s second biggest market, after Germany.

Before I changed to Rimowa I had Samsonite. Was okay, a few small issues with the wheel and once the handle. I didn’t go away from Samsonite as an unhappy customer, simply wanted something a bit more classy.

I was never a fan of Tumi. From more than 5 feet away the Tumi product looks ordinary, just like any USD 25-bargain from a Chinatown shop. And by far not as robust as Rimowa.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls