Reply To: A380 – white elephant or the future?Create Topic

Home Forums Other Miscellaneous A380 – white elephant or the future? Reply To: A380 – white elephant or the future?

MrMichael
Participant

Canucklad, I tend to agree with you. At the time (mid 80’s) the A320 was a superior product to the 737 and thus some major American Airlines went for it. It did force Boeing to up their game, and ultimately was the reason for the demise of McDonnell Douglas ( who themselves made some excellent planes but just jigged about the 60,s DC9 and that was never going to cut the mustard in the 90,s…..perhaps the B717 being an exception). Thus with the Americans buying the A320 Airbus become a serious competitor.

Interesting about the Americans not buying the A380 MartynSinclair. The problem for the Americans is they consistently fail to make a profit wherever they fly and whatever they fly. I am used to hearing that xxx airline is in Chapter 11….in fact I have no idea which is and which is not. Buying the A380 for 350 million a piece would push most over the edge. However as they become available on the second hand market I can see AA giving it a bash.

I know we all regret seeing accountants running things. I experience it in the business I am in, it is cyclical. When it does not work they bring in an expert and respected figure in the field, when they go they replace with an accountant for a safe if boring pair of hands. When they realise it don’t work they look for an expert again…….and so it goes on and on.