Reply To: A380 – white elephant or the future?

Back to Forum

TimFitzgeraldTC
Participant

Good question. I’d look for it if I could and rather fly the same route on an A380 service over anything else – it is so much quieter than anything else I’ve flown (not been on a 787 or A350). Likewise have lots of clients who fly the A380 over 777. In the case of Emirates and being in Brighton – I have clients who go to Heathrow over Gatwick to make sure they are on an A380 (as free car covers both LGW/LHR from Brighton). Likewise for clients West London – they are often happy to go to LGW if they can get the A380 and it is cheaper than the equivalent LHR departure time (but wouldn’t do it for a cheaper 777 fare).

Naturally some people aren’t fussed and are driven by schedules / nearest airport. But I think the A380 has a secure future. I imagine BA will take another 5-10 as a conservative guess (it is the perfect plane for an airport like LHR which has no spare capacity and won’t any time soon). Even Cathay might consider ordering depending on HK Airport developments as something they could easily put on services to LHR and West Coast US.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls