Reply To: Is there any need for a pre-flight safety briefing from cabin crew?

Back to Forum

canucklad
Participant

I agree Simon that over reaction is a risk……
Overly secured cockpit doors being a classic example……

However, it’s worth noting that the BA evacuation was exemplary, and worked like clockwork, not least because it had many factors working in its favour……

1) Most importantly (You reading this WW) a well-trained, professional crew from front to aft.
2) A well drilled and highly professional controller and more importantly fire crew on the ground
3) A flight less than 2/3rds full
4) The incident also happened in daytime
5) The fire didn’t rapidly spread before the fire fighters arrived

I do like the idea of securing overhead bins during take-off and landing through an auto-lock device
I’m not an advocate of gate to gate IFE or otherwise usage
I also like the idea of the briefing being done by the cabin crew, not relayed by TV screens. Also that certain words are emphasised to focus the mind.

A classic example of my last point, was on a flight back from “somewhere” , during the life jacket spiel, I clearly remember the fuss the guy took over ensuring we tied the straps to the LEFT and in FRONT What he failed to stress was not to inflate the vest inside the cabin.
To me he should have shown us how to tie it, regardless of side and then stress UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES inflate inside the cabin…Language used correctly can be a powerful tool.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls