Reply To: Smokers Alley (aka Heathrow Airport)

Back to Forum

AnthonyDunn
Participant

@ Andrew66 – 07/06/2013 21:10 GMT

Actually Andrew, I think that the smoking ban was rather well thought through; it had certainly been debated long enough before it was adopted.

One of the consequences is that smoking across all social strata in the UK is starting to fall, even amongst the DE demographics. Interestingly, it is also dropping amongst the young leading the French Health Minister recently to ask what the UK was doing right that the French were not.

A large part of it is that it is no longer acceptable to smoke and impose the noxious fumes on others and it is now entirely acceptable to comment to someone if their clothes reek of tobacco smoke.

I’ve no idea off the top of my head how much disease and death is alcohol rather than tobacco related – and their respective costs to the NHS – but if you can’t do everything, you should at least try to do something – and that is what the smoking ban is all about.

I seem to recall an uproar when I was young about the compulsory wearing of seat-belts and motorcyclists having to wear helmets. Beyond a very few, who seriously argues about those issues these days? Society moves on, social mores adapt and was acceptable becomes unacceptable and vice versa.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls