Reply To: Smokers Alley (aka Heathrow Airport)

Back to Forum

Andrew66
Participant

I think when the smoking ban was bought in , it’s impact was badly thought out , because at pubs , hotels and airports smoking is no longer allowed indoors , no problem there in fact a good idea because although not all the majority disliked it many did and so the minority had to smoke outdoors . The problem is the rules and regs about outside shelters and positioning of the smoking areas , they seem to positioned where everyone has to walk by and be affected also the shelters are so stupidly designed that they do not protect smokers from the elements of the typical British weather . Neither smokers or non smokers are happy or content with the current situation .
I can’t see why purpose built facilities can’t be available airside for those who wish to smoke , this would take away part of the problem of areas just outside buildings etc , these could be provided or sponsored / paid for by cigarette manafacturers . I don’t think smokers should be alienated and non smokers are no longer exposed except in these problem areas .
I thought about 20% of the population still smoked but this is decreasing , in 20 to 30 years it will probably be unheard of , so no longer a drain on healthcare costs , whilst in news today it reports that cancers are increasing and will burden the health service in a severe way , perhaps FREE alcohol will be banned from the lounges as alcohol is an even more dangerous drug than tobacco , perhaps people will be more heavily policed and restricted at what unhealthy foods they consume , these will be the major concerns in the future as regards healthcare costs .

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls