Reply To: Heathrow Terminal 3 drop-off / pick-upBack to Forum
Due to a mess up with my driver this morning at T3 arrivals, I had to wait in the T3 drop off zone to be collected. What an interesting 30 minutes or so conversation with the Police, who were out in force, managing the traffic flow.
1. The drop of zone is exactly that – DROP OFF ONLY. Drivers who are caught collecting passengers, can be fined £40. The whole area is covered by cameras
2. Collecting passengers must be done via the T3 car park, and a charge of £2.60 will be paid by all drivers
3. BAA do not provide clear signage anywhere on the airport to confirm these details
4. New laws were introduced to cover the drop off zone at T3 as previously, the lanes all had double yellow lines
5. The police explained the Island format of the airport and it can take as little as 90 seconds for the blockage to extend back to the M4!
6. With more airlines using T3, until T2 opens, the car park system is overworked.
7. I inquired what had been decided about T2 parking, the police confirmed nothing had yet been agreed about drop off, collection.
Do readers believe it is right that all cars collecting passengers should be directed to a car park and be charged £2.60 for the privilege?
Whenever I have needed to use a car park they are overpriced and hell to get out of during busy times. Should drivers be charged for dropping off passengers? If the central areas were for passengers only, could a transit terminal be created off airport for all passengers to be dropped and collected and then travel to the airport via shuttle trains.
The reason for this post is that having used Heathrow for more years than I could care to mention, I only knew today about the £40 fine if caught being collected from T3 drop off.
One last point. Whilst I was waiting, the police were dealing with a car in the drop off zone that had been seen by a remote camera and checked, only to find out the driver had no insurance. The car was impounded, one less driver without insurance on the road….