Reply To: An unusually personal post!Create Topic

Home Forums Other Miscellaneous An unusually personal post! Reply To: An unusually personal post!

snowbaked
Participant

Hi Martyn,
I hope you had a better weekend and hopefully it also means closer to coming home.
I travel regularly for work, but mostly short haul now with my current job during the week. I try the following things which really help me, and maybe by sharing them will help others:
– use skype/facetime where possible
– I keep a photo diary of my trips or element of my trips to share with my wife and show my daughter at the weekend (or after a long trip)
– i brought an ipad which has lots of photos/blogs/books to read

There are two big things that helped me:
I decided to take up running, as it was a way that I could explore new places and try and fight the constant hotel and restaurant food. I try to run most days or go to the hotel gym, and found it a great way to also search for new restaurants without doing the lonely walk around. I decided to register for the london marathon last year, and this helped me focus on having to go running/exercise. I finished in 4 hours 7 seconds, and raised 2.5k for Cancer Research
The second thing was I got an opportunity to speak (for about a minute) with the CEO of the business unit I work for and I asked him how he deals with all the travel and being away from home. He says that he trys to focus on work when away, and so that when he is at home his mind can be free to focus on home, family, friends etc. That has helped me alot, so when I’m in a hotel missing my daughter or wife, I try and focus on a work problem or item and vice versa when at home when I’m stressing about work.