Reply To: An unusually personal post!

Back to Forum

Binman62
Participant

That why I gave it up…No longer travel for business purely personal and with family. I can recall waking up and staring at the roof of a 747 for the 5th time in about 3 weeks and thought what am I doing here.
The worst for me was many many years ago in a hotel in Freetown. It was a dump but the best dump in town and I was sitting amid the stains and pubic hair from previous occupants. As I strolled onto the balcony I saw, to my utter horror, the QE 2 sailing out towards the Atlantic. I had not see it that close since the day it was launched when I was just a child and I have never felt so home sick or alone as I did that day. It was before Skype Ipads and mobile phones and calling home was a very expensive lottery.
Frankly business travel is a young person’s game and it can be great fun, but it is neither as glamorous or as exciting as many would have you believe, which is probably why the merits of 60B versus 2A and other guff get so many posts.
Good Luck
PS caught up with he Queen in Manila some years later and had lunch with the Captain and told him of the story. They had had to reroute from Suez to Southern Africa and up the west coast as a result of the first gulf war. Freeetown was a refuelling stop and no one got off….lucky them.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls