Reply To: Budget 2011: Osborne to unveil private jet flight tax

Back to Forum

LuganoPirate
Participant

I would imagine an Indian tour company will get very favourable prices when they book with the airlines, and could well do for example, Delhi – ams – LCY. then ferry and back from AMS. If it wasn’t cheaper they wouldn’t do it and the Indians are some of the toughest bargainers I have ever known!

In support of LondonCity, I have several very wealthy UK friends, who travel to Phuket, Cape Town and other summer destination for the Christmas break. Despite being able to afford the APD they take Easyjet to Milan or Rome, then fly from there. Not only are the fares cheaper, but the APD etc are in the 10’s of Euro’s rather than 100’s of pounds. Each of them are in groups of 9 or 10 (Couple, 3 kids, nanny, parents) and according to one friend he saved over £15,000 this way to Phuket.

I grant you, a few extra pounds of APD will not make much of a difference on a £9,000 ticket, but cumulatively it adds up and especially if you are paying for it from your own pocket on income taxed at 50%, you will have to earn twice that to pay for it.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls