Reply To: Budget 2011: Osborne to unveil private jet flight tax

Back to Forum

Binman62
Participant

Londoncity…point taken, but it could also have something to do with the fact that KLM charge £670 return from DEL to AMS of which almost £200 is a fuel surcharge. BA on the other hand want £856 for DEL LHR of which £76 is APD. (Based on May 1st ex DEL May 31st return.)
At less than £200 the differences in fares will almost be removed in this particular instance when you add the ferry crossing etc. Perhaps it is something else that is pushing this traffic to Harwich and the ferry.

KLM are £555 more expensive on the same dates for Business Class and seem to be consistently more expensive year round from the little research I have done.

As many know, routing via a European city does not reduce APD unless you stop for more than 24 hours on through fare/ticket. A route like LHR HEL HKG on say AY, will not stop you paying LHR HKG APD levels unless you stop for more than 24 hours. When you factor in Hotels it may not make economic sense to stop.

People will always look for way to buck the system and as I said we all love a bargain, but the APD is not seeing a rush of airlines out of LHR, LGW or MAN. I think only Ryan air have pulled out of anywhere and said it was APD but I certainly do not take that at face value.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls