Reply To: Budget 2011: Osborne to unveil private jet flight taxCreate Topic

Home Forums Other Miscellaneous Budget 2011: Osborne to unveil private jet flight tax Reply To: Budget 2011: Osborne to unveil private jet flight tax

Binman62
Participant

Whatever level it is set at it is not going to drive them into penury and it will not make any difference to their lifestyle. After all they are not as a result of this tax going to have to make a decision between own brand and Heinz beans they next time they send their staff to the supermarket!

We really must put this in perspective. For those us willing and able to spend £2000 up for a seat on an aircraft for 8 hours the addition of APD is not likely to make one jot of difference. Sure we all like a bargain and I for one will travel to lower my airfare but I have yet to say no to a flight simply on the basis of APD and I know no one who has done so.

BA wants £9059 for a return to JFK in First leaving tomorrow and coming back next week. Of that £366 is taxes fees and charges and of that most goes to BA as a result of fuel surcharges. I hardly think that moving this charge to £400 or even £500 (as long as it was Tax) would make anyone change their minds about buying such a fare.

For the same money 77 cataracts operations could be done restoring the sight of those blighted by a curable illness.

It is of course entirely a matter for each individual how they wish to spend their money and good luck to you if F and J airfares are how you do it. But let’s not get carried away with the myth that APD is driving people away from flying. There is absolutely no evidence to support such a contention.