Reply To: Advice needed

Back to Forum


A point which may be of interest.

I was supposed to be flying BHX-DUS with my son on Friday night. I had a guaranteed reservation at the Hilton Dusseldorf. DUS was closed and the closest I could get was BRU. Lufthansa made me buy two one-ways BHX-BRU (around EUR 500 for the two of us). I also incurred the cost of a night’s hotel in BRU. Lufty did, however, allow the return leg to remain valid, despite the fact that I didn’t fly the first sector.

I was unable to cancel the Hilton in DUS before 16.00, so fully expected them to charge my card as it was a guaranteed reservation. I also stayed at the Hilton DUS last night and asked them for a receipt for the Friday charge, which I could claim from my insurance company.

They told me that they had not charged me for the no-show because they understood the weather conditions were (are) extreme. Whether this was because I am a Diamond HH member, I’m not sure. However, it was a great gesture that saved me some EUR200 of further unexpected costs.

Incidentally, I took the 07.00 DUS-BHX flight this morning. DUS seemed to be working fine and there were no delays (apart from at BHX on arrival, when no ground staff turned up to meet the aircraft until about 20 minutes after arriving at the gate position).

Merry Christmas to one and all, and I hope all your travels go as smoothly as possible over the coming few weeks.


Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below