Reply To: Travel InsuranceCreate Topic

Home Forums Other Miscellaneous Travel Insurance Reply To: Travel Insurance

MartynSinclair

thanks Mark. I have looked at the Amex travel policy but it is not as comprehensive as the Centurion cover i am trying to replace. A lot of travellers, only see the benefits of travel insurance and do not see the areas that lack cover. Just a few examples of policy shortfall:

1. A return ticket is purchased in business or first. Traveller has to delay return due to illness. What class of ticket can be purchased for the eventual return.

Answers vary – from see if you can persuade the airline manager at the airport to change the ticket to we refund only the unused portion of the ticket. If a new ticket needs to be purchased then it will be in economy only.

2. A relative has died and you are in the middle of a business trip or your need to cancel a holiday – are you covered.

Answers vary – dependant on cause of death, was it an exisitng condition, was it declared prior to travel.

3. You fall ill and have to delay your return and you are using a ticket on airmiles. The airline will not change the ticket are you insured

Answer is very likely to be NO.

4. Does your travel policy cover you for travel on corporate jets

Answers will vary depending on how the owner of the corporate jet structures the flight.

5. If you fall ill overseas will the insurer settle all claims directly with the hospital.

Answer – well even though my so called policy confirms that all claims will be settled directly with the hospital the reality is that an insurer can very easily wriggle out of this. For an insurer to be in a position to agree a claim it can effectively take weeks for the claims administrators to liase with UK GP before a claim can be agreed. This therefore makes a statement “we will settle all claims directly with the hospital” virtually an impossible statement to make.

I know most readers will wonder if Martyn SInclair is a walking disaster, but the above examples are situations that either I or my collegues/friends have been in and where Insurance policies have let them down. Currently in the UK most travel policies are non FSA regualted, even though most will claim to “voluntaraly” be a part of the Ombudsman service.

Travel Insurance is one of those benefits bought by people who in the main believe it covers for most eventualities. It is only when you unfortunately have to make a claim that you realise the shortfall of most policies.

I would be delighted to discuss this wiith any insurer able to provide comprehensive benefits.