Reply To: A Different Kind of ThreadCreate Topic

Home Forums Other Miscellaneous A Different Kind of Thread Reply To: A Different Kind of Thread

Bunnahabhain
Participant

NigelT cites the lack of announcements in lounges as a pet hate, and yes it is a bit annoying to keep having to get up to the screen – a bit contradictory to the whole concept of relaxation.

Like everything though, announcements are a matter of getting the balance right, and the other extreme is fast taking over rail travel, with the east coast main line seemingly wishing to take the lead in the worst practice. Twice recently I have had the rule book read out at maximum volume – so much for the quiet coach – both before and after departure. It just goes on and on – ticket validity, smoking, luggage, you name it. The EC first class at-seat menu card says “Welcome to the calm atmosphere of first class” – well it is until the CSD gets on the karaoke. Surely all we need is the destination and next stop – which are displayed on the windows anyway – and any important en-route running information, although the iPhone does that too. Just leave us alone please! – we do have some degree of neurones left otherwise we wouldn’t be in the job, or need to be. Whilst I accept there’s no chance of them shutting up altogether I would like to see a cut-down announcement culture (in number, length and volume) in first class, for which I would be happy to pay a bit more of a differential. GNER did once do a survey and reported the results in the Livewire magazine – time for a review EC. VT last week Euston – Manchester didn’t seem to be quite so bad.

The airlines have generally got about the right balance between interruption and statutory / important information, but the increasing trend for £££ aboard does risk that swaying the wrong way.

Need a smokeless cigarette now! Look forward to more such inane debate on the 14th – advance to Mayfair!!

Bliadhna Mhath Ùr & Slainte

J