Reply To: BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated ThreadCreate Topic

Home Forums Other Miscellaneous BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread Reply To: BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Hippocampus
Participant

“Isn’t it interesting that BA refuses to go to independent binding arbitration with respect to suspensions and firings?”

No. I don’t see why established disciplinary procedures should be outsourced to a third party. BA management run BA. I don’t think any other company would agree to this.

“Isn’t it interesting BA insisted on all legal cases against them being dropped in their recent offer?”

No it isn’t. This is standard in any settlement. If court cases continue, then it is axiomatic there is no settlement. Conducting litigation (even when against a hopelessly disorganised opponent) is time consuming and expensive.

“Interestingly although BA has won a couple more cases against Unite than it has lost BA has not been awarded costs. “

In the case of the crewing levels case, I understand Unite has sought leave to appeal to The Supreme Court. It is common for the issue of costs to be dealt with once litigation in a case has been ultimately concluded. Once this is done, I would expect BA to apply for costs. All three Court of Appeal judges were in agreement (very often you can have judges disagreeing or finding in favour of the same party, but for different reasons) so it was hardly finely balanced.

“The strike is about bullying, victimisation and intimidation”

No it wasn’t. It was about the “imposition” of changes to crewing levels at LHR, which the High Court and Court of Appeal found to be reasonable.

A cynic might suggest that having lost in the courts (where the evidence showed that the disputes between BASSA and CC89 made it impossible for there to be any sensible negotiation – which all other departments achieved) on the issue of imposition, BASSA is doing anything to drag this issue out further with a shopping list of grievances.