Reply To: BA Cabin Crew Strike – Consolidated Thread

Back to Forum

FlyingChinaman
Participant

VK: Thanks for giving me more background information to this endless industrial dispute. I now have a better understanding of the situation.

I must say I had trouble in visulizing the BA cabin crew on their European flights as being a nasty bunch. Most of them looked rather decent. However many of the senior and aging FA in the front cabins (trans-continental flights) have rather different attitudes and this may be the trouble! Dragging the sandwich class of honest crew members into a LOOSE-LOOSE situation for both sides.

NTarrant: Having grown up a former British Crown Colony, we were keenly aware of the powerful labour unions back in the 70’s and 80’s! My father once told me that the two major bus companies in HK had to look for an alternative European bus manufacturer to supply over a thousand double decker buses per year rather than to allow the lengthy British Leyland strike to strangle the rapid public tranport system development during the Asian economic boom at that time. That was a hugh amount of order for per year spreading over a 10 to 15 year period. Big big loss to the British industry!

The UK now needs to have a quick economic recovery to put their finances right and this on-going BA cabin crew industrial saga is not helping!

I have just booked two return flights on BA for January but had doubt with their services beyond January and I was thinking of using other European airlines instead. Short strikes at a drop of a hat is not the same thing as a looming threat for months and months.

Since you said the chances of a planned strike is not so likely between February to April, I might reconsider flying with BA for these periods. I will not hold you responsible!

Happy holidays to all and also to the BT editoral staff members.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls